WASHINGTON (AP) – The U.S. uniforms for the Olympics are American red, white and blue – but made in China. And that has congressional leaders outraged.
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid says the U.S. Olympic Committee should be ashamed of itself. He suggested Thursday they toss the uniforms into a big pile and burn them. Then U.S. textile plants could make the navy blue blazers with the team patch, cream-colored skirts and navy berets with red and white stripes.
Reid says the industry is desperate for jobs.
House Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi says she’s proud of the athletes, but they should be wearing uniforms that are made in America.
The uniforms were designed by American Ralph Lauren. Nike has also created many of the competition uniforms.
(© Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Also Check Out:
- North Texas Middle School Principal Indicted
- Dallas Mavericks: Destruction Complete!
- Motorcyclist Dies During Garland Police Chase
- Drivers Stop I-30 Traffic To Watch Fair Park Fireworks
- Children Stranded In Dallas After Mother Dies