MLB Commissioner Says He’s Done In 2014
Rangers CentralShop for Rangers Gear
Buy Rangers Tickets
Sports Fan Insider
MILWAUKEE (Sports Network) - Major League Baseball commissioner Bud Selig has apparently set another date to end his tenure with the sport.
The Journal Sentinel reported on Tuesday that Selig said he didn’t see himself in that role beyond 2014, while delivering the keynote address to the Sport and Society Conference at St. Norbert College — located near Green Bay.
This latest news apparently contradicts Selig’s statement from this past January, when he said he’d step aside at the end of the current season despite pressure from a small group of owners who wanted him to continue to lead the sport.
If he decides to turn back on his word, it wouldn’t be the first time the 77- year-old Milwaukee native decided to extend his stay at the head of America’s pastime.
Selig agreed to a three-year extension as commissioner in 2008 after intimating he might leave his post. The owners also swayed his decision to stay on past the 2006 season after he previously indicated his intention to retire.
As in previous reports, Selig wishes to step down — this time at the milestone age of 80 — so he can pursue other opportunities, including teaching.
A former owner of the Milwaukee Braves, Selig first took over as acting commissioner in September of 1992 after Fay Vincent resigned.
Under his watch, baseball has split both the National League and American League into three divisions, implemented interleague play, added a Wild Card berths in each league and an extra round of playoffs and also introduced instant replay for controversial home run calls.
(© Copyright 2012 The Sports Network. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Also Check Out: