2012 Camp Cowboys: 8.6.12
Buy Cowboys Tickets
10. Blue-White scrimmage was zany. Official attendance announced at 9,008, but I talked to Oxnard Police who said they stopped letting people “on campus” at 12,500. Cowboys’ VP Stephen Jones said next year they’ll plan on having the scrimmage at a nearby high-school stadium.
9. Toldja last week to keep an eye on undrafted rookie receiver Tim Benford from Tennessee Tech. Had two touchdown catches Sunday from quarterback Kyle Orton. Only 6-feet, but dude is a superlative athlete with soft hands.
8. After losing his heart for football and leaving camp on Friday, free-agent rookie Cole Beasley has had a change of heart and returned to camp. Follow? Head coach Jason Garrett said he can empathize: “I was a rookie free agent in Lacrosse, Wisconsin with the New Orleans Saints and back then training camp was a little bit longer. We did have two-a-days and there was padded practices. I can remember about three days in saying, ‘Are you kidding me? We’ve got five more weeks of this?’ Asked if Beasley‘s hiccup will affect his ability to make the final 53-man roster, owner Jerry Jones said emphatically, “No. He’s got a chance.”
7. This isn’t exactly breaking news, but Stephen McGee sucks. In the scrimmage he led his third-string offense to 0 first downs and 3 punts on 3 drives. The quicker the Cowboys move on from him the better.
6. Beasley, and bees. The Cowboys temporarily closed their Marriott Residence Inn campus Sunday while experts removed a giant bee hive on a table near the field. Have those “Killer Bees” we’ve heard about from decades finally arrived?
5. Cornerback Brandon Carr is the real deal. He had a pick of Tony Romo Sunday and 2 more break-ups. Said Romo, “He’s good. Real good. He was in some spots that a cornerback just isn’t supposed to be in.”
4. Jerry Jones on last week’s outburst aimed at Dez Bryant that he was “pissed” and had a “plane ticket” ready if he didn’t shape up: “Just because I said it doesn’t make it so.” After that zinger, Jones revealed – seriously – that Bryant’s margin for error off the field has vanished. “He’s screwed around here and got his benefit of the doubt collateral down to nothing. And he’s also very vulnerable. Now, you’ve got to act differently when you’re in those shoes. He’s got to gain a bunch of that back. He can do it, and he can do it right out on this football field. And I hope that he does.”
3. Former Cowboys Charles Haley, Jay Novacek, Nate Newton and Drew Pearson are in Oxnard. Pearson was last year inducted into the Ring of Honor. Who’d he like to see get in next? “Harvey Martin.”
2. Actor Rob Lowe attended the scrimmage. If you’re young and hip you think West Wing. If you’re old like me, you think About Last Night. And, admit, you’ve at least tried the “double-headphone thing” attempt to sex. Likely with someone much less hot than Demi Moore.
1. Cowboys cut safety Brodney Pool. No shocker. While he was failing his conditioning test last week, Barry Church was buys winning the safety job opposite Gerald Sensabaugh.
(© Copyright 2012 CBSDFW.COM, CBS Local a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Also Check Out: