2012 Camp Cowboys: 8.7.12
Cowboys CentralBuy Cowboys Tickets Shop for Cowboys Gear NFL Scoreboard
Sports Fan Insider
10. So far so good for kicker Dan Bailey. Without any legit competition in camp, he’s only missed one field goal (out of about 20) through 8 days of camp.
9. Andre Holmes is an imposing receiver specimen at 6-foot-5, but he continually drops passes. Not only that, he makes most catches against his chest and body, negating what should be a real advantage with his height and reach. He’s been disappointing to say the least.
8. Owner Jerry Jones is sporting a new look at camp. Pants, long-sleeve shirts, wide-brimmed Panama Jack hat and, yesterday, even white gloves. For a guy who has always worn coaching shorts and gear, it’s shocking. Something tells me the doctors have warned Jones – who turns 70 in October – to limit his sun exposure. Good advice for us all.
7. How thin are the Cowboys these days? With John Phillips (ankle) out a couple days, linebacker Alex Albright was getting reps at tight end Monday and, actually, making some decent catches. Speaking of tight ends, Jay Novacek says Jason Witten is the Cowboys’ best all-time tight end.
6. Cowboys’ Media Guide cover this year features a team pre-game huddle. You can see DeMarcus Ware and Jason Witten, but it’s a “team” shot. A combo of team unity and the lack of individual star power?
5. Long-time scout Bryan Broaddus has a theory as to why Miles Austin is always pulling hamstrings. Because of the way he’s built, as in “wound tight” with his dense muscles. Austin is also a major sweater, and he loses so much fluid during workouts and games that he gets dehydrated and … pop.
4. Ring-of-Honor receiver Drew Pearson on the maturity hiccups regarding Dez Bryant: “Let’s stop calling it growing pains. He’s 23. It’s past the time for him to grow up and be accountable for his actions.” The original 88 said he’s reached out to Dez but the current No. 88 hasn’t been, um, receptive.
3. No secret that Stephen McGee stinks. Question now is whether or not the Cowboys will keep a third quarterback. Jerry? “That’s a great question. We’ll have to see how it plays out with McGee.” In other words, nope.
2. So Cole Beasley loses his heart, then has a change of heart and is back in Camp Cowboys a mere 48 hours after he quit. Jerry says he once quit at Arkansas before changing his mind and being a part of the ’64 championship squad. And I hear that once upon a time the Cowboys had to talk a current player out of leaving camp. Goes by the name of Jay Ratliff.
1. Cornerback Mike Jenkins not being cleared for contact by Dr. James Andrews yesterday is bad news. Looks more and more like Jenkins will still be on the Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) List when rosters are cut to 53, meaning he would miss the season’s first six games. “We’ll be patient with him,” says Jerry. “I’m not gonna guess on a time table.” Ouch.
(© Copyright 2012 CBSDFW.COM and CBS Local, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Also Check Out: