10. Bumped into backup running back Phillip Tanner at breakfast Wednesday morning. He was wearing a cast and talking of getting back to practice late next week. He somehow broke his right hand in the Blue-White scrimmage, though he doesn’t know how. “I just thought I jammed my finger,” he said. Tanner flew home coach and was seated in an exit row. He had to move because he couldn’t fulfill his duties in case of emergency.
9. As for camp’s position battles: Barry Church has won free safety; Bruce Carter has the edge on Dan Connor at inside linebacker; and, nope, no one has taken charge at 3rd receiver. Kevin Ogletree has the lead, but Cole Beasley and Tim Benford are having the best camps. Andre Holmes has been disappointing.
8. Looked out on the practice field yesterday and saw cornerback Brandon Carr running around with a … naked man. At least it looked like it. FX’s The League was filming and carrying the football for a scene was none other than an actor wearing only a flesh-colored jock strap. Jay Ratliff was also involved in a scene that seemed to include him stomping and stalking an actor. Let me know how the show works out.
7. Speaking of football on TV, if you’re watching HBO’s Hard Knocks: Miami Dolphins you’re probably seeing some familiar faces. GM Jeff Ireland, tight ends coach Dan Campbell, defensive line coach Kacy Rodgers, tight end Anthony Fasano and linebacker Kevin Burnett all used to work at Valley Ranch in the Bill Parcells era.
6. The Fan’s R.J. Choppy says he’d “go gay” for $500,000. I’d hold out until the price got to $2 million.
5. For what it’s worth, Tony Romo is completing 65% of his passes during live 7-on-7 and 11-on-11 drills. Backup Kyle Orton is at 67%. Stephen McGee is at 3%, or thereabouts. Perhaps that’s a tad low.
4. How tough will the NFC East be this year? Vegas odds are out to win Super Bowl 47 and the faves are the Packers (6-1) and Patriots (6.5-1). The Eagles are 12-1 and the Giants and Cowboys both 18-1. That means 3 of the 12 best NFL teams – according to oddsmakers – are in Dallas’ division. The Redskins are at 60-1.
3. Also polluting the empty fields Wednesday afternoon, long-time scout Bryan Broaddus and family playing Jason Witten and family in a game of … soccer. And those dorks from 105.3 The Fan had some fun ‘n games. I beat Jane Slater and Greggo in a 60-yard dash and booted a 30-yard field goal. Now, like Cole Beasley, I’m done. Retiring. For now.
2. Ratliff always turns grumpy when you ask about his weight. But this year he reported at 303, compared to last year’s 285. He probably won’t admit it, but he came in too light last year and it showed via a drop-off in production.
1. Saw Dez Bryant eating with linebacker Orie Lemon last night at BJ’s Brewhouse in Oxnard. And, yes, patiently waiting in the lobby with one eye on the table was a Cowboys’ official. Dez doesn’t need a bodyguard, but he does require a babysitter.
(© Copyright 2012 CBSDFW.COM, CBS Local Media. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Also Check Out:
- KRLD Restaurant Week
- Search On For Missing Pastor’s Wife
- Dad Talks After Child Killed In Strip Mall Crash
- Chick-fil-A “Kiss In” Protest A Social Media Event
- Unborn Baby Saved After Crash Kills Dallas Mom