BBB: Wet Weather Means More Foundation Repair Complaints
NORTH TEXAS (CBSDFW.COM) – The changing North Texas weather of hot days and drenching rains can wreak havoc on concrete/slab foundations.
Officials with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) say they’ve seen a 70-percent increase in the number of inquiries about foundation companies and they expect the number to increase.
BBB spokesperson Kristi Pena said, “Now that we’ve had all this rain, within the next seven to 14 days we’ll see an influx of either phone calls or door-to-door fliers.”
The issue isn’t with advertising but with companies claiming to be experts in an area they often have little or no experience.
“We’ve got all these new contractors popping up that are saying they can do foundation repair,” Pena said.
According to Pena, most of the BBB complaints surround work that made foundation problems worse or disputes with insurance companies — which frequently cover some types of foundation repair but not others.
When seeking a company to do foundation repairs BBB officials recommend that consumers:
- Check with your insurance company. Some homeowner’s policies will cover foundation repair, so check with your insurance prior to signing a contract.
- Do your homework to find an accredited contractor and compare price quotes.
- Request an on-site inspection. To ensure you’re getting an accurate estimate, have the company come out to your home to inspect the damage.
- Beware of red flags, like high-pressure sales tactics or requests for a full payment upfront.
- Ask about warranties. Warranties and workmanship are only as good as the company that stands behind them.
- Be sure to read through and fully understand everything listed in your contract. Make sure the warranties, expected timeline, and payment schedules are clearly listed.
Also Check Out: