Chargers 28, Cowboys 20: My Top 10 CBS Contemplations
Buy Cowboys Tickets
10. Owner Jerry Jones has had a splendid preseason with “Glory Hole” and kickin’ the Giants’ “ass” and being “pissed” at Dez Bryant. But he was out of sorts before the Chargers game. Pretty sure he called them the San Diego “Spurs,” or maybe it was the San Diego “Firsts.” Then, on our radio pre-game show he portrayed Jason Witten’s toughness by saying “once he had his wire wired.” Um, jaw?
9. Yes, it was fantabulous to see Brandon Carr pick off two passes in the first half. But let’s not get carried away with the 1st one. Receiver Robert Meachem had a good step on him. If Philip Rivers puts more air under that deep ball Carr is burned for a long touchdown. Instead Rivers underthrew it, Carr got a fortunate pick and now everyone is salivating over the $50 million man.
8. Not a bad game for receiver Dwayne Harris. Or, considering his lengthy locks, should it be Dwyane Hair-iss?
7. Still don’t think it’ll be a disaster come regular season, but the replacement refs made a mess of a 3rd-quarter pass to Andre Holmes. First, Holmes dropped and bobbled the on-target pass from Kyle Orton. Then, Chargers’ safety Eric Weddle hit Holmes in the helmet with his head, drawing a penalty flag. But after a long review – which included a second look from a veteran NFL replay ref in the booth – the refs awarded an interception to San Diego, and then penalty yardage. Nope, the penalty should’ve negated the interception. Major gaffe. Change-of-possession mistakes cannot be tolerated.
6. Is it just me or does Orton look like Foo Fighters’ front man Dave Grohl?
5. That was the Cole Beasley that had the Cowboys buzzing this off-season. 7 catches for 104 yards and 1 vomit. Need to remind, however, that 6 of the catches came in the 4th quarter against Chargers’ backups. Still, teams are realizing he’s a tough cover from the slot.
4. Up: Kevin Ogletree, Jamize Olawale, Mario Butler, James Hanna; Down: Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, James Adams, Teddy Williams.
3. Got a kick out of the ridiculously bad TV production of the game on CBS 11. Microphones off that should’ve been on, and vice-versa. A clock that ran during timeouts and was constantly wrong. Graphics that read “Chargers 22-yard FG” after Dan Bailey’s make from 49. And a funny exchange late in the game between play-by-play voice Bill Jones and sideline reporter Mickey Spagnola in the moments after Beasley was awarded Offensive Player of the Game. Mickey: “So did Beasley get an award or something?” Bill: “Yes he got an award. Pay attention!” Good times.
2. In 7 possessions against Carson Palmer and Rivers, the Cowboys’ No. 1 defense has 3 interceptions, 0 points and a penetration only to its 48-yard line. Last December the Cowboys surrendered 68 points and 746 yards passing in two crushing losses to the Giants. Small steps.
1. Dez’s leaping 1-handed lefty is already the NFL’s Catch of the Year. If, that is, it weren’t for the fact that it was preseason, there was a penalty and his foot came down a smidge out of bounds. Still, wow.
(©2012 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
Also Check Out: