SAN ANTONIO (AP) – The head of training at Lackland Air Force Base has stepped down and is headed to the Pentagon amid a sex scandal involving instructors and trainees.
The San Antonio Express News reports Wednesday that Air Force Col. Eric Axelbank handed command of the 37th Training Wing to Col. Mark Camerer.
The ceremony Monday was uncharacteristically closed to the media.
The change comes as the Air Force implements new training guidelines. The base’s top commander, Col. Glenn Palmer, was ousted last month.
Military prosecutors have investigated more than a dozen Lackland instructors and charged six with crimes ranging from rape to adultery. Master Sgt. Jamey Crawford goes on trial Wednesday for having sex with a trainee.
Lackland is where every new American airman reports for eight weeks of basic training.
(© Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Also Check Out:
- Texas Judge Preparing For ‘Civil War’ If Obama Re-Elected
- Health Officials: No Need To Call 911 For Mosquito Bites
- Randy Travis’ Truck Found Abandoned In North Texas Field
- Billboard Controversy Comes To North Texas
- Texas Woman Aims For Skunk, Shoots Husband