The 5 Worst Cowboys’ Performances Under Head Coach Jason Garrett
Cowboys CentralShop for Cowboys Gear
Buy Cowboys Tickets
Sports Fan Insider
DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – If you saw that one coming, take a bow. Feel free to gloat. Me? I was blind-sided by Seahawks 27, Cowboys 7. Honestly, I’m stunned.
Jason Garrett took over as head coach of the Cowboys in the middle of 2010, in the wake of an ugly 45-7 loss to the Green Bay Packers in which there were alarming signs of a team absolutely quitting. Wade Phillips was fired and since then Garrett’s gone a long way toward changing the culture, and toward maximizing the Cowboys’ effort – if not their results.
Under Garrett the Cowboys are 14-12. But Sunday in Seattle was sleepless. Okay, it was nauseating. Hideous. Embarrassing.
In my opinion, it was the worst performance by the Cowboys in the 26-game era of Garrett.
“I thought emotionally we were ready to play,” Garrett said Sunday in Seattle. “The bottom line is they beat us, in all three phases of the game.”
Of Garrett’s 12 losses as Dallas’ coach, this is only the 4th by more than a touchdown. The other 8 margins: 3, 3, 1, 3, 4, 4, 6, 3. Usually the Cowboys play close, dramatic games.
Today was an aberration. Yes, today was the worst.
5. 10.2.11 Lions 34, at Cowboys 30 – Commanding 27-3 lead vanishes at home as Tony Romo throws 3 2nd-half interceptions, 2 of which are returned for TDs.
4. 1.1.12 at Giants 31, Cowboys 14 – With NFC East on the line, Cowboys fall down 21-0 as Terence Newman turns himself into human hurdle.
3. 10.30.11 at Eagles 34, Cowboys 7 – Philly scored on first 4 possessions and led 34-0 before late 70-yard pass to Laurent Robinson allowed escape from embarrassing shutout.
2. 12.4.11 at Cardinals 19, Cowboys 13 (OT) – Garrett calls timeout just before Dan Bailey’s would’ve-been game-winning field goal and Cowboys lose in OT on long screen pass by LaRod Stephens-Howling.
1. 9.16.12 at Seahawks 27, Cowboys 7 – Felix Jones fumbles opening kickoff, followed by a blocked punt for a TD, several dropped passes and a lackluster effort against a very mediocre team.