CBS 11 Header TXA 21 Header MeTV Header KRLD Header The Fan Header

Local

McKinney Apartment Fire Raises Safety Concerns

(credit: KTVT/KTXA) J.D. Miles
J.D. is an award-winning reporter who has been covering North T...
Read More

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

From Our CBS Music Web Sites

kluvs super 70s weekend voting 1979 dl McKinney Apartment Fire Raises Safety ConcernsPick The Best Song From 1979

115245513 8 McKinney Apartment Fire Raises Safety ConcernsCrush Of The Day: Mila Kunis

80219448 McKinney Apartment Fire Raises Safety ConcernsViral Video: Hilarious Southwest Safety Announcement

155742164 McKinney Apartment Fire Raises Safety ConcernsPick Your Favorite Victoria Secret Model

Featured Items

Fantasy_tileHottest Olympians

pet_tileYour Pet Photos

weather_tileSend Us Your Weather Photos

MCKINNEY (CBSDFW.COM) – A recent fire at an apartment complex in McKinney has raised some concerns about the safety of residents living there. The blaze last week damaged 16 units at the Bent Creek Apartments along Wilson Creek Boulevard. Fire investigators noticed that none of the smoke detectors activated to warn residents.

Some residents allowed CBS 11 News into their apartment units, where smoke detectors were all found to be inoperable.

According to the fire department, the alarms are all AC hardwired with no battery backup. “They were hardwired alarms,” explained Stacie Durham with the McKinney Fire Department. “If the power’s out, if they don’t have a battery backup, they’re not going to respond.”

Tenants said that they have complained to the property’s management, but nobody has addressed their concerns. “They don’t really care, and we’re paying a lot, too,” said apartment resident Lillia Murcia. “I don’t really like it, that’s why we’re moving out.”

Bent Creek Apartments did issue a statement. “The well-being of our residents is of utmost importance,” said spokesperson Kerri Fulks. “Residents assume responsibility for the maintenance and functionality of any smoke detectors, such as battery replacement.”

McKinney’s Fire Marshal has opened an investigation.

Also Check Out: