DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – Sunset High School in Dallas was evacuated after a student started a fire in the boys bathroom on Friday. No one was injured.
Dallas Fire-Rescue responded to a structure fire at the south Dallas school around 10:30 a.m. Firefighters were directed to a boys bathroom, where they encountered lots of smoke. The fire was immediately extinguished without incident.
Investigators determined that the fire started when a student “set a large toilet paper roll (and dispenser) on fire with an unspecified heat source (most likely a match or lighter),” according to Dallas Fire-Rescue.
Investigators are currently working with the school to gather details that might lead to identifying the culprit. Surveillance video from the school is also being reviewed.
Approximately 2,200 students and faculty were at the school and forced to evacuate due to the incident.
Libby Daniels of the Dallas Independent School District says classes were disrupted for roughly an hour. She also noted that the incident is not related to STARR Testing, which concluded on Thursday.
Also Check Out:
- CBS Radio Building Hit By Gunfire
- Snatch & Grab Thieves Nab $19,000 In 13 Seconds
- Mothers & Daughters Bond Over Plastic Surgery
- Texas Woman Killed Trying To Prevent Boyfriend’s Suicide
- CBS 11 Investigates: How Dirty Is Your Plane?