WASHINGTON (AP) – House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi says a bipartisan deal to avert a “fiscal cliff” is more likely if Democrats and Republicans don’t try to over-reach on spending cuts.
The California Democrat tells “CBS This Morning” Wednesday that Congress and the White House need to agree on a provisional plan for taxes and spending.
She says “Let’s do something now.” Pelosi adds the two sides should come together on a “down payment” on cuts to entitlement programs.
Pelosi says Democrats want to ensure that senior citizens aren’t harmed. And she says Republicans are pushing too hard on a Medicare overhaul, asking, quote, “is it just a trophy that the Republicans want to take home?”
She says, “Get it done and make corrections and expansions on it next year.”
(© Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Also Check Out:
- Cowboys Brent Arrested On Intoxication Manslaughter Charge
- CBS Radio Building Hit By Gunfire
- Burglary Suspect Arrested, Escapes In Police Car
- Snatch & Grab Thieves Nab $19,000 In 13 Seconds
- CBS 11 Investigates: How Dirty Is Your Plane?