Cowboys 27, Steelers 24 (OT): My Top 10 CBS Contemplations
Cowboys CentralShop for Cowboys Gear
Buy Cowboys Tickets
Sports Fan Insider
10. Iconic voice of the ‘Boys Brad Sham was almost moved to cuss in jubilation. Instead, he smartly settled for “How ‘bout them flippin’ Cowboys?!”
9. Under Jason Garrett the Cowboys are 5-1 in overtime. Can’t just be an accident, right?
8. I’m going to let the mother of Jerry Brown guide me on my feelings toward Josh Brent being on the Cowboys’ sideline. CBS’ studio show – Bill Cowher and Boomer Esiason in particular – ripped the organization as “insensitive.” But if she can forgive the man whose accident resulted in her son’s death, who am I to differ? And, for what it’s worth, Tyron Smith hired a chauffeured limo bus for his 22nd birthday party to and from a Dallas club Friday night. Small, smart steps.
7. To all those annoying, transplanted Terrible Towels: Have fun using them to wipe away your tears. Doesn’t quite make up for Super Bowls X or XIII, but perhaps knocking Pittsburgh out of the playoffs adds a cherry on this Sunday sundae.
6. As if we didn’t know already, Dez Bryant is a beast. Only 4 catches and a couple drops, but playing with a finger that will require major off-season surgery is spectacular. He’s become an elite receiver right before our eyes. Jerry Jones, by the way, said the finger injury is so severe that Bryant will need a bone graft (possibly from his hip) to fully repair.
5. Biggest play of the game was Victor Butler’s poking the ball free and forcing Steelers’ punt-returner Antonio Brown to fumble. Otherwise, Pittsburgh would’ve had a 24-17 lead, all the momentum and the ball at midfield with around 8:00 remaining.
4. The Cowboys were 3-5. The Cowboys have lost 9 front-line players to season-ending injuries and are playing numerous off-the-couch guys on defense. The Cowboys, at 8-6, somehow have won 5 of 6 and control their own destiny. And to think, some of y’all wanted Garrett fired.
3. When the Steelers got the ball late in regulation, the Cowboys’ defense had on the field guys named Michael Coe, Alex Albright, Sean Lissemore, Sterling Moore and Eric Frampton. Rob Ryan has had an inconsistent season, but the back-to-back sacks by Lissemore and Anthony Spencer and the pick by Brandon Carr in OT were legacy plays. Said defensive end Marcus Spears, “We have three new guys in the secondary I don’t even know.”
2. Tony Romo this December: 77 of 112 (69%) for 912 yards, 6 touchdowns and 1 interception. Oh yeah, and his team is 3-0. Again, my sympathies to the stubborn, irrational Romo haters. It’s been a rough month, huh?
1. Is Carr worth his $50 million today? And, does the Cowboys’ “stupid GM” get credit for signing him last off-season now?
(© Copyright 2012 105.3 The Fan, CBS Local Media a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Also Check Out:
- Cowboys Brent Arrested On Intoxication Manslaughter Charge
- CBS Radio Building Hit By Gunfire
- Burglary Suspect Arrested, Escapes In Police Car
- Snatch & Grab Thieves Nab $19,000 In 13 Seconds
- CBS 11 Investigates: How Dirty Is Your Plane?