One Dead, 17 Injured In Texas Dust Storm Accidents
LUBBOCK (AP) – A state trooper says one person was killed and least 17 injured in a series of accidents that occurred when a violent West Texas dust storm forced authorities to close a portion of Interstate 27 north of Lubbock.
Cpl. John Gonzalez of the Texas Department of Public Safety says 23 vehicles were involved in a series of chain-reaction crashes Wednesday afternoon south of Abernathy. He described conditions as “like a white-out, only this would be black,” as sand and dirt were kicked up by the wind.
Gonzalez says a man died at the scene after his sport utility vehicle slammed into the back of a tractor-trailer. He says injuries suffered in the crashes appeared minor.
Gonzalez says the highway remains closed in both directions because of concern over more accidents.
(© Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Also Check Out:
- TSA Detains ‘Explosive-Laced’ Girl In Wheelchair
- Ms. Grinch Caught On Camera Stealing Christmas Decorations
- Austin Gun Store Owner Offers Teachers A Discount
- Plano Police Officer Wraps $100 Bill In Traffic Ticket
- Texas Women Claim Assault, Humiliation After Roadside Cavity Search