AUSTIN (AP) – Gov. Rick Perry has asked Texans to join him in a moment of silence Friday in memory of the 26 victims of the Connecticut school shootings.
Perry on Thursday issued a proclamation declaring a moment of silence at 9:30 a.m. Friday to coincide with a day of mourning called for by Connecticut Gov. Dannel Malloy a week after the massacre.
Perry spokesman Josh Havens says the observance is meant for 9:30 a.m. local time in the state’s two time zones.
Perry is also encouraging places of worship and buildings that have the capability to ring bells 26 times to honor each life lost when a gunman opened fire at Sandy Hook Elementary School.
(© Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Also Check Out:
- TSA Detains ‘Explosive-Laced’ Girl In Wheelchair
- Ms. Grinch Caught On Camera Stealing Christmas Decorations
- Austin Gun Store Owner Offers Teachers A Discount
- Plano Police Officer Wraps $100 Bill In Traffic Ticket
- Texas Women Claim Assault, Humiliation After Roadside Cavity Search