NEW YORK (CBS SPORTS) – For the second time in as many days, the NHL and NHLPA gathered for a face-to-face meeting in New York City to share proposals in the seemingly never-ending CBA negotiations. Tuesday’s meeting consisted of the NHL presenting the union with a response to the recent offer from the players.
Earlier in the day the sides held internal meetings and also had some small groups, all while the NHL was crafting the new proposal in a response to the union’s offer that was tabled on New Year’s Eve.
The formal meeting was initially expected to begin around 5:00 p.m. before that was delayed to 6:30 p.m. and then was finally pushed back to just before 9:00 p.m. The delay wasn’t horrible, though, because the NHL was using the time to prepare its comprehensive response.
The meeting lasted about half an hour before it broke off for the same reason it ended on Monday night: The other side needs time to review the new offer. “We have to go through the NHL document,” NHLPA boss Donald Fehr said. “I would expect to meet with them tomorrow.”
On a positive note, Gary Bettman and Fehr were on the same page in that regard. “We anticipate being back together tomorrow,” Bettman said, while confirming the league gave the players a complete response. “We’re clearly not done. It’s a process that’s ongoing and I’m thankful for that.”
As for what the response was, neither side would say much, but Bettman did say the league budged some on a couple of the issues while standing firm on others.
Also Check Out: