For more trusted health
news and information,
visit CBS DFW's
DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) - A Dallas six-year-old girl has died after being diagnosed with the flu and sent home from a Mesquite hospital.
The girl, identified as Tahila Johnson, was discovered dead inside her Pleasant Grove home Tuesday morning.
Family members told Dallas police officers that the girl had been diagnosed with the flu Monday night at Dallas Regional Medical Center in Mesquite. According to her family, she was discharged from the hospital after waiting four hours and given a prescription for Zyrtec. “It took four hours before we actually got back there – but it took 10 minutes for them to tell us she had the flu and send us home,” the girl’s grandmother, Veleta Johnson, recalled.
Johnson said she watched over Tahila Monday night. When she checked on Tahila at 2:00 a.m. she found her snoring. At 6:30 a.m. the little girl was unresponsive. “When I got in there to check on her, she was not moving, and I shook her, and that’s when I knew.”
When police arrived at Johnson’s home Tuesday morning, they say the girl was in the front entry of the house, wrapped in a blanket. According to emergency responders, the girl was moved from her bed after a family member discovered her stiff and “cold to the touch.”
Dallas County Health officials are not confirming Tahila Johnson died as a result of flu complications.
The family said they aren’t sure what killed the little girl either. “Honestly, I don’t know what she died from, because they didn’t test her for anything,” her father Earl Johnson told CBS 11 News. Now he wonders if he should have done more. “Just make sure they [doctors] run the proper tests and procedures. Just don’t take their word.”
County officials are waiting for the results from a medical examiner’s autopsy.
Also Check Out:
- Cruz: Shutdown May Be Necessary
- 2013 Payroll Tax Increase Means Your Paycheck Will Shrink
- North Texas Teen Killed By Flu Complications Remembered
- Church Elects Registered Sex Offender As Sr. Pastor
- Grapevine Teens Dead In Suspected Narcotics Overdose