NEW YORK (AP) – NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has reinstated New Orleans Saints coach Sean Payton following a season-long suspension for his role in the team’s bounty scandal.
The announcement comes Tuesday, a day after Payton met with Goodell. At the meeting, Payton took responsibility for the actions of his coaching staff.
Goodell says Payton has “fully complied with all the requirements imposed on him during his suspension.”
Payton says in a statement that he recognized mistakes were made “which led to league violations,” and adds he’s “excited to be back as head coach of the New Orleans Saints.”
Payton, along with several coaches, the general manager and four players, was suspended in connection with the league’s bounty investigation that found the club had a performance pool offering cash rewards for key plays, including big hits.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Also Check Out:
- Man Shoots Self At North Texas Shopping Mall
- Victim Critical After Lewisville House Explosion
- Texas Man Reunited With Dog Who Had Been Missing After Crash
- Person Off Overpass Closes Lanes Of I-635 Dallas
- Live NICU Cameras Let Parents ‘Peek-A-Boo’ At Babies