AUSTIN (AP) – The University of Texas’ new medical school will be named after computer magnate Michael Dell and his wife thanks to a $50 million pledge.
UT announced the donation from the Michael & Susan Dell Foundation Tuesday. The university says the foundation is also committing another $10 million to improve community health programs in Austin and Travis County.
The Dell Medical School is scheduled to open in 2016 with 50 students in its first class.
Michael Dell is the founder of personal-computing giant Dell Inc. He’s a Texas alumnus and longtime donor to the university.
UT President William Powers says in a statement that “no university could ask for better friends” than the Dells.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Also Check Out:
- Women Sue X-Rated Revenge Website
- Small Earthquake Hits North Texas
- Officer Shoots Suspect In College Parking Lot
- Man Shoots Self At North Texas Shopping Mall
- DWI Crash Victim Recovers Despite Lack Of Insurance