DALLAS (AP) - Dallas County District Attorney Craig Watkins is refusing to appear in court to answer accusations that his office pursued charges against a member of a high-profile family at the behest of a campaign donor.
Watkins was called to testify Thursday by attorneys for oil heir Al Hill III, who’s charged with mortgage fraud. Hunt’s attorneys allege Dallas attorney Lisa Blue urged Watkins to pursue the case.
But Watkins did not come to court. His office says Watkins believes he shouldn’t be forced to answer questions. It also says Watkins is too sick to testify.
At one point, state District Judge Lena Levario paused the hearing to determine whether the FBI was investigating Watkins. His attorney says there’s no federal investigation.
Levario agreed to delay the hearing due to Watkins’ illness.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Also Check Out:
- Teacher Suspended After Pouring Pencil Shavings In Student’s Mouth
- Mosquito-Fighting Plan Allows Access To Private Property With No Warrant
- “Sexually Suggestive” Exercises Center of LA Fitness Lawsuit
- Memorial Service Wraps For Chris Kyle
- Police Expand Hunt For Escaped Florida Inmate