From Texas Rangers
GLENDALE, Ariz. (AP) – Team USA manager Joe Torre firmed up his starting pitching for the first round of the World Baseball Classic on Tuesday, slating R.A. Dickey against Mexico, Ryan Vogelsong against Italy and Derek Holland against Canada.
Torre had already said Dickey would pitch the opener in Pool D on Friday night, but he wanted to see how Vogelsong came out of a spring appearance for the Giants before finalizing the rest.
Vogelsong will start Saturday against Italy. That allows Holland, a left-hander, to face a Canadian lineup stocked with left-handed hitters on Sunday.
Torre, an MLB executive vice president, said he’ll err on the side of caution when it comes to pitch counts. WBC rules limit starters to 65 pitches in opening round games.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Also Check Out:
- Plano Police Warn Hispanic Men Of Violent Attacks
- North Texas Dad Indicted For Carving Pentagram On Son
- Paramedics Packing Heat? One Texas Lawmaker Says Yes
- DISD Approves School Security Upgrades
- College Players Pepper Sprayed After Basketball Game
MOST VIEWED GALLERIES