Car Crash Causes Gas Leak In Fort Worth
Get Breaking News First
FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) - A car crash led to a gas leak in east Fort Worth early Thursday morning. Police were called to the 1200 block of Country Club Lane, near Bridge Street, at about 7:00 a.m. after reports of a vehicle slamming into an above-ground gas valve located right next to a hospice facility.
The pipe broke below the ground, but the loud sound of gas escaping from the break could be heard for two hours after the crash. Atmos Energy was called to the scene to turn off the gas, but it took them two hours to arrive. Two workers were able to shut off the leak within 10 minutes of getting to the scene.
There were no evacuations. Country Club Lane was closed at Bridge Street as a precaution. The area is about a block away from Interstate-30 in Fort Worth. The crash happened near an 18-bed hospice center. Gas could be smelled inside of the building, but firefighters with handheld gas monitors determined that the facility was safe.
Police offered no details about the female driver, what may have caused the crash, or if any charges will be filed. Authorities only said that the driver was not injured and was alone in the vehicle. The car struck a light pole before hitting the gas line. City officials fixed the light pole about 30 minutes before Atmos Energy workers arrived.
Also Check Out:
- Plano Police Warn Hispanic Men Of Violent Attacks
- North Texas Dad Indicted For Carving Pentagram On Son
- Paramedics Packing Heat? One Texas Lawmaker Says Yes
- DISD Approves School Security Upgrades
- College Players Pepper Sprayed After Basketball Game
MOST VIEWED GALLERIES