CBS SPORTS — Rutgers coach Mike Rice has been fired less than 24 hours after the video of him physically and verbally abusing players made its way to the public. The school officially released the news Wednesday morning.
The Star-Ledger and the Record, both New Jersey newspapers, initially reported Rice met with Rutgers athletic director Tim Pernetti Wednesday morning. After defending his initial decision and his coach on television Tuesday, public outcry over Rice still having a job led to Pernetti making a heel turn toward the inevitable: termination of Rice’s contract.
Senior Associate Athletic Director of Communications for Rutgers Jason Baum publicly broke the news in a tweet.
The matter of Rice’s anger is an old one, dating to last November/December, but this story became fire on gasoline Tuesday afternoon after ESPN aired the clips of Rice chucking basketballs at players, kicking certain members of the team and berating them with offensive language that included homophobic slurs.
Also Check Out:
- Kaufman County DA Mike McLelland And Wife Found Dead
- Victoria’s Secret’s New Lingerie Line Has Parents Outraged
- Homeowner Says 911 Hung Up On Them
- I-Team Investigates Identity Theft Targets In Texas
- Troopers Indicted After Roadside Cavity Search Of Two Women
MOST VIEWED GALLERIES