New Kaufman County District Attorney Sworn In
KAUFMAN (AP) – A North Texas county where two prosecutors were fatally shot has a new district attorney as two suspects in the killings remain in custody.
Erleigh Norville Wiley was sworn in Monday afternoon to succeed slain Kaufman County District Attorney Mike McLelland.
The bodies of McLelland and his wife, Cynthia, were found March 30 in their home. An assistant district attorney, Mark Hasse, was gunned down Jan. 31.
Wiley grew up in Kaufman. She was a prosecutor in Dallas County and court-at-law judge before being approved by the Texas Senate to replace McLelland.
Ex-Justice of the Peace Eric Williams and his wife, Kim, are being held on capital murder charges. Eric Williams was convicted last year of theft and burglary for stealing county computer monitors. He was sentenced to probation.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Also Check Out:
- Dozens Feared Dead, Hundreds Injured In Fertilizer Plant Explosion
- “Small Amount Of Looting” At Texas Blast Site
- Texas Rocked By Fertilizer Plant Explosion
- Secret Service And Local Police “Ready” For Dedication
- Former Kaufman County JP’s Wife Charged With Murder
MOST VIEWED GALLERIES