CBS 11 Header TXA 21 Header MeTV Header KRLD Header The Fan Header
Two Great Apps: CBS DFW Weather App: iPhone App Store | Android App Coming Oct | Download
                                   CBS Local App: The Latest From CBS DFW On Your Device | iOS & Android | Download
                                   -Including Breaking News Notifications, Audio and Video from CBS DFW


Former West Paramedic Remains In Custody After Hearing Delayed

View Comments
(credit: KTVT/KTXA) Jack Fink
Jack moved to Dallas after three years at WESH-TV, the NBC affil...
Read More

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up
West Explosion

166874173 Former West Paramedic Remains In Custody After Hearing DelayedExplosion Details

barack obama 081420121 Former West Paramedic Remains In Custody After Hearing DelayedObama's Response

516f9c8fb1de9 image Former West Paramedic Remains In Custody After Hearing DelayedEmergency Contacts

516f50bdecd4e image Former West Paramedic Remains In Custody After Hearing DelayedExplosion Photos

166874171 Former West Paramedic Remains In Custody After Hearing DelayedFull Coverage

WACO (CBSDFW.COM) -Former West paramedic Bryce Reed didn’t appear before a federal judge in Waco as originally scheduled.

Through his attorney, Jonathan Sibley, the 31 year old pleaded not guilty to possessing a destructive device. Sibley disputes federal prosecutors’ accusations Reed had chemicals, metals, and other equipment to make a pipe-bomb.

Reed’s attorney says at Wednesday’s scheduled hearing, he was going to ask the judge to release his client.

Federal prosecutors sought to keep Reed locked up until after the outcome of his trial claiming he’s a danger to the community. Reed’s attorney wouldn’t say why the hearing was postponed, and for now, his client will remain behind bars.

Sibley says, “I don’t think there’s any evidence showing he’s a danger to the commmunity.  He served his community honorably.  He’s been an EMS for a long time, he has family support, family ties, and I don’t think he’s a danger to the community.”

Reed was a paramedic for West on the night of the fire and explosion at the West Fertilizer plant that killed 14 people and hurt 200 others. Two days later, he was let go as a paramedic, but neither the city nor Reed’s attorney will explain why.

The McLennan County Sheriff’s department says there’s no evidence Reed has any connection to the fire and blast.

Sibley agrees.  “We want to make sure we’re very clear about that. He had nothing to do with that.  At the same time, we are contesting allegations that are against him and that we look forward to having our day in court.”

If convicted, Reed faces a maximum penalty of ten years in prison.

Developments in Reed’s court case come one day before the state fire marshal and ATF release their report on what sparked the fire and deadly explosion at the plant last month.

(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. )

Also Check Out:

View Comments