FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) – Several schools around North Texas have decided to close early on Tuesday due to reports of severe weather arriving in the area later in the afternoon. The extra precautions are being taken during this round of storms after a deadly tornado ripped through Moore, Oklahoma, on Monday. That twister damaged two separate elementary schools, where kids were pulled from the rubble by teachers, rescue workers and parents. Some of those who died in the Monday storm were at those elementary schools.
If you have a child in school on Tuesday, check the list below to see if he or she will be dismissed early.
- Alvarado ISD: Students released at noon, but parents can start picking them up at 10:45 a.m. Tuesday morning.
- Arlington ISD: Schools are not closing, but are prepared to shelter in place as weather warrants. After school activities are canceled.
- Carroll ISD: After school activities are canceled.
- Carrollton-Farmers Branch ISD: Schools are not releasing students early, and are prepared to follow standard severe weather plans.
- Catholic Diocese of Fort Worth: Students at elementary schools released between noon and 12:30 p.m. Tuesday afternoon. School staff members will remain on campuses with students who are unable to go home.
- Cleburne ISD: Students dismissed to parents at 9:45 a.m. on Tuesday morning. Students who are not picked up will be held in a safe area until the severe weather threat has passed.
- Dallas ISD: All after-school activities have been cancelled for Tuesday. School bus routes will run at the regular time.
- Diocese of Dallas Catholic Schools: Elementary students released to parents at noon, but high schools will remain in session. Afternoon activities have been canceled. Students who cannot be picked up will be held in safe areas and provided lunch.
- Ennis ISD: Schools are not scheduled to release early.
- Episcopal School of Dallas: Both campuses closing at 12:30 p.m. Tuesday afternoon and all afternoon events are canceled.
- Fort Worth Diocese Schools: All campuses will release students between noon and 12:30 p.m.
- Frisco ISD: Schools will not release students early, and will shelter in place if weather warrants.
- Godley ISD: Schools closing at noon on Tuesday. Students who have no place to go will be held safe at the intermediate school campus.
- Greenhill Schools Dallas: Closing early.
- Grand Prairie ISD: After school activities are canceled.
- Grace Academy-Dallas: Closing at 1:00 p.m. Tuesday afternoon.
- Grandview ISD: Students released at noon on Tuesday.
- HEB ISD: All after school activities are canceled.
- Highland Park ISD: Schools are not releasing students early, but are prepared to shelter in place if weather warrants.
- Irving ISD: All after-school events have been canceled. Parents are encouraged to pick up their kids early, if possible, but schools will not be releasing students any earlier than scheduled. All after school activities have been canceled.
- Keller ISD: Schools are not closing, and will follow standard severe weather procedures.
- Mansfield ISD: All after-school events have been canceled.
- Palmer ISD: Closing at 1:30 p.m.
- Plano ISD: Schools will not release students early, but are prepared to shelter in place if weather warrants. If parents would like to pick up their children earlier than scheduled, they may do so without any penalties. After school activities are on as scheduled.
- Shelton School: Students being dismissed between noon and 12:30 p.m. on Tuesday afternoon.
- Red Oak ISD: All after school activities have been canceled.
- Stephenville ISD: Students start being dismissed at 1:15 p.m. Tuesday afternoon.
- Westwood School: Closing at 2:30 p.m. Tuesday afternoon, and all after-school activities have been canceled.
Other Closures & Cancellations:
- Dallas Zoo: Closed Tuesday afternoon.
Stay with CBSDFW.COM throughout the day for the latest updates to this list of school closings.
Also Check Out:
- 6 Dead After North Texas Tornado Outbreak
- West First Responder Posts Erratic Facebook Messages
- Duncanville Teacher On Leave After Student Viral Video Rant
- Nordstrom No Longer Tracking Customer Phones
- Severe Weather Pictures: May 15, 2013
MOST VIEWED GALLERIES