Rape Cases Up In Dallas Compared To Last Year
DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – Incidences of rape are up 12.4 percent in Dallas, according to the latest crime report, which city leaders looked over Monday.
In the last six months, 199 rapes were reported. In the same time period last year, the department received reports of 177 rapes. But those numbers may not reflect the true number of women victimized this year.
“It’s the most under reported crime that we have… and we are trying to really encourage those victims of rape to come forward,” said Dallas Police Chief David Brown. Fifty-four percent of sexual assaults aren’t reported to police, according to the Rape Abuse & Incest National Network (RAINN).
Chief Brown said he wants people to report when they become a victim so police can bring the perpetrators to justice.
On a positive note, despite an increase in violent crime such as rape — overall crime is down 1.2 percent from last year.
Also Check Out:
- Minute Suites Debut At DFW Airport
- How I’d Bet $100 On The Belmont Stakes
- I-Team: Innocent Teen Killed As A Result Of Police Chase
- Largest Tornado On Record & What It Would Look Like
- Child Hit & Killed Near School, Driver Will Not Be Charged
MOST VIEWED GALLERIES