Matchup: Holland, Hernandez Face Off In Texas
Rangers CentralShop for Rangers Gear
Buy Rangers Tickets
Sports Fan Insider
ARLINGTON (CBSDFW.COM) – A shaky start by Justin Grimm left the Rangers on the wrong side of a 9-2 loss Tuesday. The team will look to left-hander Derek Holland to steady the ship on Wednesday.
Holland (6-4, 3.14) will face off against Seattle ace Felix Hernandez (8-4, 2.70 ERA) in the second of a three-game set in Arlington.
The 26-year-old Holland is coming off his best start of the season, a two-hit complete game shutout at Yankee Stadium last Thursday. The left-hander needed only 92 pitches to record his sixth career shutout.
“Turn the page. That start is over,” said Holland after Wednesday’s loss. “That was a great start, but my defense helped me out there and I’ll look for them to help me again.”
Hernandez, whose 2.70 ERA ranks third in the American League, has struggled in his 16 career starts at Rangers Ballpark in Arlington. The right-hander has won only five times in Arlington, the last coming in 2010.
“He’s a great pitcher. You have to tip your hat to him,” said Holland. “He’s been fantastic against us, but it doesn’t matter. I have to go out there and do my job. It’s about myself, not worrying about what he’s going to do. If I go out there and give our team a chance to win, that’s all you can really ask for.”
While Hernandez has struggled in Texas, Holland has excelled against the Mariners in his career. In 14 career games (10 starts), Holland has compiled an 8-2 record and 3.39 ERA against Seattle.
Holland will have the task of cooling off a hot Mariners’ offense which shelled out 13 hits en route to scoring 9 runs Wednesday. DH Kendrys Morales alone accounted for two HRs and six RBIs.
“I just have to go out there and get the momentum back on our side,” said Holland. “Our defense and offense will be ready to go. It’s my job to step up and do my part.”
- Holland’s complete game shutout at Yankee Stadium snapped a season-high four game winless drought starting on May 31 vs Kansas City.
- Holland is pitching on five days rest. He is 5-0 with a 2.18 ERA in 9 starts on 5+ days rest in 2013.
- In six wins this season, his ERA is .40. In his other 10 starts: 5.14
- Has not received a single run of support in any of his four losses.
- In his last home start vs the Mariners, he surrendered 8 runs in the second inning of a 21-8 loss.
- Hernandez settled for a ND in his last start against Texas on June 26 (7 IP, 6H, 2ER, 11K).
- Has a 12-18 record in his career against Texas.
- His last start in Texas (9/24/11): 3.1 IP, 12 H, 7 R, 5 ER
- Has not recorded a win in Texas since 9/28/10
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
Also Check Out: