2nd Human Case Of West Nile Virus In Dallas County
CBS DFW (con't)
Affordable Care Act Updates: CBSDFW.com/ACA
Health News & Information: CBSDFW.com/Health
DALLAS COUNTY (CBSDFW.COM) – Just one day after health officials in Dallas County confirmed the first human case of the West Nile virus for the 2013 season, another case is being reported.
The second patient, diagnosed with West Nile Neuroinvasive Disease, lives in Grand Prairie, in the 75052 zip code. The person’s current medical condition isn’t known.
Last night the city began spraying for mosquitoes in southwest and southeast Dallas. More mosquito spraying was already scheduled in those areas for tonight. The ground spraying will happen between 10 p.m. and 2 a.m.
Once again Dallas County Health and Human Services Director Zachary Thompson urged residents to do their to avoid exposure. “We’re just encouraging Dallas County residents to drain standing water, use insect repellent and just make sure that they’re aware we’re still in the West Nile season.”
To find out more about or to report mosquito activity in Dallas County, call (214) 819-2115 or visit Dallas County Health and Human Services online for more information.
So far this season there has been one case of human West Nile virus in Tarrant County and one case in Denton County.
North Texas health officials are still urging residents to adhere to the five D’s when it comes to controlling the presence of mosquitoes.
- DRAIN—all areas of standing water including changing water in wading pools, birdbaths, and cleaning out gutters;
- DEET—Use bug spray and protect clothing with repellents containing permethrin or DEET;
- DRESS—Dress in light- colored clothing with long sleeves and wear long pants;
- DUSK/DAWN—Limit outdoor exposure at dusk and dawn;
- DOORS—Keep door and window screens in good repair
- Court Challenge To Voter ID Law Nears End
- “The Maze Runner” Tops Box Office
- Perry Says Schools Were Adequately Funded
- Jury Selection Begins In Kaufman Murder Trial
- Rua’s 1st HR Lifts Rangers Past Angels