LOS ANGELES (AP) - A son of Los Angeles Dodgers manager Don Mattingly is going to play college basketball for Bob Knight’s son.
Preston Mattingly has committed to Lamar University in Beaumont, Texas, where Pat Knight coaches the team.
Mattingly, who turns 26 next month, spent six seasons in baseball’s minor leagues, but never advanced past Class A.
He played basketball at Evansville (Ind.) Central High, where he averaged 21 points as a senior. His former coach there contacted Knight, who offered Mattingly a scholarship.
“I was really glad he’s going to go back and get an education,” the elder Mattingly said Tuesday. “Trying to get by today, you need an education. He’s going to get a chance to play while he’s doing it.”
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Bears Beat Cowboys 45-28 On Ditka Day
- Steve Stockman Challenges Cornyn In U.S. Senate Race
- Falling Ice the New Threat From Winter Weather
- CBS 11 iTeam: Where Were The Mayors?
- North Texas ISD’s Decide To Open Or Not To Open