LOS ANGELES (AP) – A son of Los Angeles Dodgers manager Don Mattingly is going to play college basketball for Bob Knight’s son.
Preston Mattingly has committed to Lamar University in Beaumont, Texas, where Pat Knight coaches the team.
Mattingly, who turns 26 next month, spent six seasons in baseball’s minor leagues, but never advanced past Class A.
He played basketball at Evansville (Ind.) Central High, where he averaged 21 points as a senior. His former coach there contacted Knight, who offered Mattingly a scholarship.
“I was really glad he’s going to go back and get an education,” the elder Mattingly said Tuesday. “Trying to get by today, you need an education. He’s going to get a chance to play while he’s doing it.”
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- DFW Moments: Delta Flight 191 Crash
- North Texas Christian School In Danger Of Closing Down
- 3 Dead, 4 Injured In Fort Worth Rollover Crash
- Border Patrol Agents Rescue 14 Illegal Aliens Freezing In Desert
- DFW Moments: Ebola Outbreak