Baby Elephant Cools Off In Kiddie Pool
Get Breaking News First
FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM/(AP) — The Fort Worth Zoo’s new baby elephant is already a big hit with children who visit the zoo.
Their youthful fascination was enhanced Tuesday when zoo officials added a child’s inflatable pool to the elephants’ enclosure for Belle’s enjoyment. Belle could be seen rolling in the pool.
Video Credit: Fort Worth Zoo
Belle was born July 7 and is just the second Asian elephant to be born at the zoo in its 104-year history. Belle is short for Bluebell, a wildflower found throughout Texas. Her 14-year-old sister is named Bluebonnet, or “Bonnie.”
Zoo spokeswoman Katie Giangreco says Belle weighed 330 pounds at birth is gaining two pounds per day. She says Belle “is curious and full of personality, learning new things every day, learning what her trunk is for, learning to use her legs.”
Belle’s mother, Rasha, is helping in that instruction.
Asian elephants have been listed as endangered since 1976.
- Stars Game Halted, Then Postponed After Player Collapses
- Natural Gas Industry Struggles To Keep Promises
- Heroin Use Reaching Epidemic Levels Across North Texas
- North Texas Police Department Posting Traffic Enforcement Locations
- Rangers GM Jon Daniels Talk Baseball Live From Surprise