Mom Remembers Son Killed in New Mexico Wreck
EULESS (CBSDFW.COM) – Trinity High School graduate and University of Utah defensive tackle Gaius Vaenuku was killed in a car crash in New Mexico on Monday. Vaenuku was driving with a friend, a former teammate and his younger brother.
His mother spoke to CBS 11 about her grief and the time she almost lost him two years ago when the family home was destroyed by fire. True to form, Vaenuku saved his brother from the burning home.
“I think Heavenly Father said to him, ok, let me give this young man two more years and see what he can do. And I think it worked out,” said Vaenuku’s mother, Sela.
A memorial service is planned for Vaenuku Friday at Trinity High School from 5-10 p.m. A private funeral and burial is scheduled for family only on Saturday.
A total of five people were traveling in the SUV, which drifted off the roadway and rolled several times in New Mexico. The group was driving back to the DFW area from Utah.
- Rangers’ Rodriguez Keeps Red Sox Bats Quiet In 3-1 Win
- Harden Loses Ball In Final Seconds As Rockets Fall 99-98
- Nadal Could Face Djokovic In French Open Quarterfinals
- MLB Plans For Cuba Exhibition Next Spring
- Kenseth Wins Pole For NASCAR’s Coca-Cola 600