BURLESON (AP) – Three-time Olympian Stacy Sykora has decided to formally retire from the U.S. national volleyball team, two years after she sustained a serious brain injury in a bus accident while playing in Brazil.
Sykora has played on a limited basis since the injury, which impacted her vision. But a recent stint as a coach at the USA Volleyball High Performance Championships spurred her to officially retire and move on to the next phase of her career.
Sykora, who is from Burleson, Texas, won a silver medal at the Beijing Olympics in 2008. She is one of the players who defined indoor volleyball’s libero position, which became part of the international game in 1998.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Spirited Debate Over Future Of Fair Park
- Ponder Booster Club Out $21K, Parents Blame Fellow Member
- Murder Mystery In San Marcos Impacts North Texas Family
- Mysterious Tunnels Under North Texas Explained
- “No Trespassing Signs” Going Up At Tent City Under I-45