BURLESON (AP) – Three-time Olympian Stacy Sykora has decided to formally retire from the U.S. national volleyball team, two years after she sustained a serious brain injury in a bus accident while playing in Brazil.
Sykora has played on a limited basis since the injury, which impacted her vision. But a recent stint as a coach at the USA Volleyball High Performance Championships spurred her to officially retire and move on to the next phase of her career.
Sykora, who is from Burleson, Texas, won a silver medal at the Beijing Olympics in 2008. She is one of the players who defined indoor volleyball’s libero position, which became part of the international game in 1998.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- FDA Calls For Zika Testing Of All Blood Donations
- Big Changes To Knox Street Causing Concern
- Puppy In Garbage Saved By Good Samaritan
- Texas Firefighter On Oregon Hike Found; 2nd Hiker Dies In Fall
- Arlington Police Seek Man Who Exposed Himself To Teen