Dallas Woman Absorbed In Facebook As Girl, 3, Drowns
DALLAS (AP) — A Dallas woman who allegedly was distracted by Facebook has been charged after a 3-year-old girl she was supposed to watch drowned in a pool.
Dallas County jail records show 37-year-old Kariasa Thomas was being held Wednesday on a charge of reckless injury to a child.
Officials say Kanyce Giddings couldn’t swim and drowned on June 22.
Police say Thomas was watching a friend’s four children, including Kanyce, at an apartment complex pool that closed for the evening. An affidavit says Thomas told police she used her phone to log on to Facebook for about 15 minutes, plus played with her dog.
The victim’s body was found in the pool.
Thomas was booked Saturday with bond set at $25,000. Thomas has retained counsel, but the attorney could not immediately be located early Wednesday.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- ‘American Sniper’ Holds Top Spot At Weekend Box Office
- Sen. Ted Cruz To 2016 Hopefuls: ‘Don’t Talk, Show Me’
- Masked Robber Killed In Shootout With Store Clerk
- No. 8 Texas Skid Continues With 58-57 Loss To Iowa State
- Dallas Police Investigating Reported Drowning Of Child