Snakes Have Denton Pet Owners Keeping Their Dogs Inside
CORINTH (CBS 11 NEWS) - Gretel, a two-year-old Banter Bulldogge, nearly died this week after she was bit in the throat by a copperhead snake in her backyard.
Melanie Ellison of Corinth said the animal hospital told her Gretel would have suffocated if not for its emergency treatment.
Gretel is not the first dog in the area to have recently been bit by a snake.
Snake sightings in Denton County are up this year, according to local veterinarians and animal control companies.
Vincent Flores, owner of A All Animal Control, said he has had four times as many snake calls this summer compared to last.
He blames the mild winter.
Ellison said regardless of the reason she has seen more this summer.
“I won’t even go in the backyard right now because I don’t want to get bitten,” said Ellison.
Many in her Corinth neighborhoods said they’re keep their pets and children inside in the evening when snakes are usually the most active.
Ellison said, “It’s not worth the risk.”
- First Thanksgiving At Home For Formerly Conjoined Twins
- Police Chase Ends With Multi-Vehicle Crash, 1 Dead
- High Court To Review EPA Mercury Limits
- Dallas Residents Take To The Streets Protesting Ferguson Decision
- North Texas Family Wants Justice For Stolen Decorations