NORTH TEXAS (CBSDFW.COM) – Many parents will start back-to-school shopping this weekend just in time to take advantage of the annual sales tax holiday. But what exactly is tax-free?
There are several ways to shop and save until the holiday ends Sunday.
Clothing and shoes on sale for less than $100 is tax-free this weekend, according to fashion expert Holly Quataro. Specifically, work out gear, swim suits, hats, scarves, ties and belts are tax-free this weekend.
“The idea behind tax free-weekend is for families who are getting ready for back to school to save money so of course backpacks and messenger bags will be tax free this weekend. There are some rules, backpacks have to have straps that are worn on the back but brief cases and computer bags will still be taxed this weekend and so will purses
Any kicks or threads that cost more than $100 is taxable. So if you have your eye on a pair of high-priced designer jeans prepare to pay full price plus tax.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Ted Cruz Declares Grassroots Conservatives Real Winners of New Hampshire
- Top 5 Tips For Buying Jewelry (In Time For Valentine’s Day)
- Women Robbed At Gunpoint Frustrated With Police Response
- Child Fighting For Life After Siblings Die In Crash
- Sex Assaults Up In Dallas; Police Say There’s More To The Story