AUSTIN (AP) — Gov. Rick Perry has appointed a new chief of staff as he prepares for retirement.
Perry named former Houston Chronicle reporter Kathy Walt on Monday to manage his office. Walt previously worked for Perry’s press secretary when he took office in 2000. Most recently she’s worked for the Lower Colorado River Authority in charge of government relations.
The governor also named Jonathan Taylor to serve as director of the Economic Development and Tourism Division. Aaron Demerson will be a senior adviser for economic development.
Perry announced last month that he will not seek re-election. That gives him only 16 months left as governor.
Perry has held open the possibility of a second run for president in 2016. He has recently made high-profile appearances at national Republican events.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Rowlett Evacuations & Road Closures After World War II Bomb Found
- Keidel: Should The Giants Pick Saquon Barkley?
- Man Pulled From Burning Tank At Chemical Plant In Ennis
- Police Find, Arrest Nashville Waffle House Shooting Suspect
- Texas Transportation Department To Waive $1.3B In Late Fees