BEDFORD (CBSDFW.COM) – An apartment fire in Bedford led officials to an unusual discovery — snakes.
The one-alarm fire started at about 2:30 a.m. at the Pecan Creek Apartments along Central Drive. The flames were quickly tapped out after firefighters arrived, but emergency crews then discovered more than 20 ball python snakes inside of the burned apartment. About a dozen of the snakes had died.
An animal control officer on the scene said that it is against city code to keep that many snakes inside of an apartment. Officials said that a woman who lived in the apartment unit was keeping the snakes for her son, while he prepared to move.
No people were hurt in the blaze. Officials did not say what may have caused the fire in the first place.
- Harvey To Dump Heavy Rains On Texas; Hurricane Possible
- Students ‘Packed Like Sardines’ At Coppell High
- Federal Judge Blocks Texas Voter ID Law
- Man Found Guilty Of Killing 3 Children In Crash
- On Robert Lee, The Other Robert Lee, ESPN And The American Way