BEDFORD (CBSDFW.COM) – An apartment fire in Bedford led officials to an unusual discovery — snakes.
The one-alarm fire started at about 2:30 a.m. at the Pecan Creek Apartments along Central Drive. The flames were quickly tapped out after firefighters arrived, but emergency crews then discovered more than 20 ball python snakes inside of the burned apartment. About a dozen of the snakes had died.
An animal control officer on the scene said that it is against city code to keep that many snakes inside of an apartment. Officials said that a woman who lived in the apartment unit was keeping the snakes for her son, while he prepared to move.
No people were hurt in the blaze. Officials did not say what may have caused the fire in the first place.
- Texas Senate Begins Rewrite Of Sexual Harassment Policies
- Feds: Oklahoma Man Kept Stepdaughter Captive For 19 Years
- Teen’s Harvard Acceptance Video Generates Wave Of Support
- FCC Votes Down Obama-Era ‘Net Neutrality’ Rules
- House Speaker Says He’s Not Leaving Congress Anytime Soon