WASHINGTON (AP) — Researchers are announcing the rare discovery of a new species of mammal.
It’s a raccoon-sized creature with a teddy bear face called the olinguito (oh-lihn-GEE’-toe).
A Smithsonian researcher says it lives in the mountainous forests of Ecuador and Colombia where it leaps through the trees at night. It eats fruit and weighs about 2 pounds.
One of them also once lived at the National Zoo in Washington where it was mistaken for a similar animal.
The discovery was announced Thursday.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Funeral Held Today For Good Samaritan Killed Outside Walgreens
- Celina Teen Wins Scholar Athlete Honor
- Arsenio Hall Sues Sinead O’Connor For Libel Over Prince Post
- Texas A&M Sheds Some Swagger, Tries To Change Trajectory
- Boy In Critical Condition After Being Hit By Boat Propeller