WASHINGTON (AP) — Researchers are announcing the rare discovery of a new species of mammal.
It’s a raccoon-sized creature with a teddy bear face called the olinguito (oh-lihn-GEE’-toe).
A Smithsonian researcher says it lives in the mountainous forests of Ecuador and Colombia where it leaps through the trees at night. It eats fruit and weighs about 2 pounds.
One of them also once lived at the National Zoo in Washington where it was mistaken for a similar animal.
The discovery was announced Thursday.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- George H.W. Bush Tweets His Thanks To Houston
- Frank Nobilo On Zurich Classic: ‘With Team Format, You Can Have A Lot Of Fun’
- Dallas Police Officer Dies, Another Critical After Home Depot Shooting
- Judge Deals Big Setback To Trump On ‘Dreamers’ Program
- Comcast Challenges Murdoch With Rival Bid For UK-Based Sky