WASHINGTON (AP) — Researchers are announcing the rare discovery of a new species of mammal.
It’s a raccoon-sized creature with a teddy bear face called the olinguito (oh-lihn-GEE’-toe).
A Smithsonian researcher says it lives in the mountainous forests of Ecuador and Colombia where it leaps through the trees at night. It eats fruit and weighs about 2 pounds.
One of them also once lived at the National Zoo in Washington where it was mistaken for a similar animal.
The discovery was announced Thursday.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Healthier, Fresher Cafeteria Options In Keller ISD
- Study: Elimination Of Texas Toll Roads Would Cost $24B
- Mother Arrested For Leaving Baby In Car During Eye Exam
- Wednesday’s Warriors: Ryan Mims Update
- Homicide Detectives Investigating Elderly Woman’s Death