DALLAS (105.3 THE FAN) – UFC welterweight veteran Mike “Quicksand” Pyle takes on Matt Brown Saturday night on the inaugural night of the new FOX Sports 1 network.
While Brown is on a 5 fight winning streak with 4 out of 5 wins coming via KO, Pyle is on a 4 fight win streak of his own, having also won 7 of his last 8 including 3 consecutive knock outs.
Both men have been sniffing around the Top 10 rankings for awhile now, and the winner is likely to land themselves on that coveted list that paves a path to title contention.
This is a fairly quick turnaround since his Memorial Day weekend win at UFC 160 over Rick Story.
While having six weeks notice after stepping in for an injured Thiago Alves, preparing for the birth of his son gave Pyle slight pause before taking the fight. In the end though, planning for his newly expanded family’s future provided plenty of inspiration to accept the invitation.
I had the pleasure of being coached by Pyle at The UFC Training Center last year for “media workout day”, and this video from my experience with him shows why he is one of the most personable fighters in the organization, while also being one of the toughest.
Fight night coverage begins at 5pm central on FOX Sports 1 with the main event featuring a light heavyweight match up between Mauricio “Shogun” Rua and Chael Sonnen.
Follow Richard on Twitter @RichardHunter
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Eaves Nets First Period Hat-Trick, Stars Hold Off ‘Hawks 4-2
- In Show-Dog Circles, Breeders In Big Cities Are A Small Pack
- Sanders Online Fundraising Gives Clinton A Run For Her Money
- Uber To Pay $28.5M To Settle Safety Ad Lawsuits
- Two Killed In Fiery Head-On Crash In Kaufman County
- Airline Reservation System Back Up After Failure
- George Zimmerman Stopped For Speeding In North Texas
- 4 Dead & 4 Wounded In 2 Related DFW Shootings
- PHOTOS: Local Mugshots
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures