Teens Killed College Baseball Player For “The Fun Of It” (page 2)
Get Breaking News First
Sports Fan Insider
“He didn’t deserve any of this,” Harper told the network. “It’s heartbreaking that it was such a random choice those guys made that drastically altered so many lives in the process.”
Lane attended East Central University in Ada, about 85 miles west of Duncan. He started 14 games at catcher last year and was entering his senior year.
“He was an absolute joy to coach,” baseball coach Dino Rosato said in a statement issued by the school. “Chris was an extremely well-respected teammate. … He set a great example for all of his teammates, but more importantly for the younger players. He was a mature student-athlete who his teammates could look to for advice and support.
Ford told an Oklahoma City television station that one of the teenagers said they shot Lane for “the fun of it.”
The chief told the Duncan Banner that police detained the three boys near a car and had retrieved a dismantled shotgun from the vehicle, but that Lane had been shot with another gun that had not yet been found. He said police have had “problems” with two of the three juveniles previously. He did not elaborate.
Peter Lane, the boy’s father, told Australian broadcasters there was no explanation for his son’s death.
“It is heartless and to try to understand it is a short way to insanity,” he said.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- Faber Happy To Support Teammate Dillishaw At UFC 177
- Texas Tech QB Webb Wants To Have Fun Against FCS Opponent
- CBSSports.com: Fantasy Baseball Week 23 Starts And Sits
- Second-Seeded Halep Loses To Qualifier At US Open
- 5 Most Outrageous Lies In College Sports
- Man Kills Himself In Wife’s Hospital Room
- Keller ISD Welcoming Students Back With New Dress Code
- Fort Hood Judge Bars Most Motive Evidence
- PHOTOS: Local Mugshots
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures
OLAPIC SPORTS UGC: