DALLAS (105.3 THE FAN) — Another NASCAR race is in the books, and once again another name is being thrown around as a title contender. Joey Logano had enough speed and fuel to take the win Sunday at Michigan for his first win of the year.
Talk about a win at the right time. All of sudden, Logano is 13th in the points, and right on the edge of a wildcard. He’s not there yet, but look out, this kid’s coming up on some tracks that he runs well at.
At Bristol, he will be a force; Atlanta, he will be near the front; and Richmond, well who knows what will happen there. Logano could be NASCAR’s version of the 2012 Ravens, getting hot at the right time and coming into the playoffs with a vengeance.
Logano’s run could be bad news for everyone from 7th place Dale Earnhardt Jr to 10th place Greg Biffle. The question of the week is, would you rather be the hunter or the hunted with 3 races to go till the chase? Give me the hunter option. These next 3 weeks are going to be great as drivers battle it out and aim to make the chase.
- I’m so tired of hearing about “clean air.” Sunday’s race wasn’t about having the best car; it was about having the best track position because it was very difficult to pass. Wasn’t the new gen-6 car supposed to eliminate this problem? I want to see the best cars duke it out for the win. Yes, I understand Michigan was just repaved and it’s lightning fast, but still. Wish the racing was more in the driver’s hands. Please don’t fine me NASCAR.
- Happy trails 2013 season – Sincerely, Tony Stewart. The two-time Cup champ has confirmed he will miss the remainder of the year as he recovers from his broken right leg. Mark Martin will drive all but one of the races till season’s end. I am excited to see the old man in the 14 car. He is so overdue for a win it’s stupid. The fans would love it, his new boss would love it, and every fellow driver would love it. The man loves to issue the line “I’m just having fun” in every post race interview. I’m setting the over/under at 18.5 times he utters that phrase the rest of this season.
- Four drivers sit in the top 10 of standings without a single win: Clint Bowyer, Dale Earnhardt JR, Brad Keselowski, and Kurt Busch. These drivers have been extremely consistent this season, hence why they are in the top 10. The question is, does NASCAR want them to succeed? They created the Chase as a response to critics of Matt Kenseth’s 2003 NASCAR title, in which he won just 1 race. Here we are 10 years later, and even with a new points system, it could happen again — or even “worse”, there could be a champ without a win. How would NASCAR respond to that in the offseason?
- Speaking of winless drivers, it’s time for Junior Nation to be a little nervous. Jr is still in the top 10 as stated above, but back-to-back 30th or worst finishes have Jr down to 7th in the standings. Bristol is up next, where anything can happen and usually does at the ½ mile track. NASCAR needs Jr to make this chase to keep interest high, and Jr needs to perform this Saturday. If he doesn’t…. Look. Out.
- I’m ready to see the #3 car return to the track. With each passing day, it’s looking more and more like Nationwide Series driver Austin Dillon, who drives the #3 car in that series, will move up to the cup and race the #3 for his grandfather Richard Childress. Are NASCAR fans ready for this? Hard to tell. No, he isn’t Dale Earnhardt. No, he doesn’t race like “the Intimidator.” No, he doesn’t have the prestige of the 7-time champ, but you know what? That’s fine! It’s time to start anew and honor the number by bringing it back on the track. If Dale Jr is okay with it, Richard Childress is okay with it, shouldn’t you be?
Races till the Chase: 3
Next Race: Irwin Tools night race at Bristol
Green-white checkered: One of the most magical days/nights of the NASCAR season is almost here. Check out the race on NEWSRADIO 1080 KRLD Saturday night at 7, Cowboys will be on 105.3 TheFan.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
Sports Stories You May Also Be Interested In: