AUSTIN (AP) – Texas troopers have increased their patrols in an effort to halt DWI-related crashes as drivers prepare for the long Labor Day holiday weekend.
The Texas Department of Public Safety says the additional patrols that began this week will run through Sept. 9. Labor Day is Monday, Sept. 2.
The enhanced patrols targeting possibly impaired drivers are funded through a grant from the Texas Department of Transportation.
DPS troopers during last year’s Labor Day enforcement period made nearly 1,900 driving while intoxicated arrests. Investigators believe at least 500 of those arrests were due to increased patrols.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Where Have Multi-Sport High School Athletes Gone?
- Cowboys Zeke: Marketable, Flashy And Great
- Man Says Cartel Hired Him To Stalk Southlake Lawyer
- Tide Could Roll In NFL Draft Round 2
- How Amazon Convinced People To Pay For Shopping