AUSTIN (AP) – Texas troopers have increased their patrols in an effort to halt DWI-related crashes as drivers prepare for the long Labor Day holiday weekend.
The Texas Department of Public Safety says the additional patrols that began this week will run through Sept. 9. Labor Day is Monday, Sept. 2.
The enhanced patrols targeting possibly impaired drivers are funded through a grant from the Texas Department of Transportation.
DPS troopers during last year’s Labor Day enforcement period made nearly 1,900 driving while intoxicated arrests. Investigators believe at least 500 of those arrests were due to increased patrols.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- GCISD Unveils $18M Improvements Plan For Football Stadium
- Baby Partially Removed From Womb For Surgery, Then Put Back
- Texan Calls 911 To Confess To 1986 Murder
- Feds Not Dropping Fraud Case Against AG Paxton
- Shippy & Luds: In The 5 Hole: Week 1 Recap