ANNA (CBS 11 NEWS) — Powerful winds ripped through northern Collin County Friday evening, collapsing a barn and leaving one person dead.
The winds thundered through during the dinner hour, splitting siding from the structure, lifting off its roof and trapping people inside. One woman died at the scene; another person was rushed to a local hospital.
The adult children of the victim tried to assist Collin County responders. They helped remove a dog that survived. Neighbors report experiencing winds strong enough that branches were blown off trees. They also tell CBS 11 News that the people living here had plans to build a new home on the property.
According to the National Weather Service, the barn was an aging structure, was approximately 60-years old, with some siding removed. The agency speculates the holes made it easier for wind to rush through and lift off the roof.
The location of the damage and death matches the path of a tornado back in May of 2006, one that started in Anna and swept through Westminster, at that time killing three people.
- Sean Lee Added To Pro Bowl Roster
- Students Kept At Schools Due To Police Activity In Little Elm
- President Obama Commuting Chelsea Manning’s Prison Sentence
- Sheriff Criticizes Texas Ag Commissioner’s Account Of ‘Attack’
- 2 Men Found Shot To Death In Royse City Home