DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM/AP) — Police say charges are pending against a father who attacked a home care nurse and a firefighter who were trying to help the man’s 1-year-old son during a medical emergency.
Authorities say the boy, who has an undisclosed medical condition, was having breathing difficulties Saturday morning in his Dallas home. His 24-hour home care nurse, Lisa Decatur, was rendering medical aid when the boy’s father assaulted her.
A Dallas firefighter named Michael Barrett responding to the home was knocked unconscious by the father. Fire Department spokesman, Jason Evans says he was taken to the hospital for further evaluation and is expected to recover.
Police officers called to the house later handcuffed the father and removed him from his son’s room.
The boy was taken to a local hospital, where he was pronounced dead. The medical examiner has not released the final cause of death.
Police say they plan to file two assault charges against the father, whose name was not released.
Child Abuse detectives are conducting the follow up investigation.
- Dallas Legal Community Reacts To Prominent Attorney’s Death
- Surveillance Footage Shows Robbery Suspects Pull Out Gun Near Child
- Texas State Rep Tweets About Response Time By Dallas PD
- Selig, Schuerholz Elected To Baseball Hall Of Fame
- Cowboys Clinch Playoff Spot After Redskins Loss