DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – Dallas police have arrested a man seven months after they say he shot and killed a man during a robbery in Oak Cliff. Jameal Reed, 23, is charged with Capital Murder for the shooting death of Merced Alberto Perez Reyna and being held in Lew Sterett Jail.
Police say the victim, Reyna, and two others stopped at an apartment complex after leaving a nightclub on the night of January 8, 2013. The group was having car trouble, according to the arrest report.
At first, Reed approached the men and offered to help them. He left and returned with a car cable, witnesses told police. But then the witnesses say they saw Reyna handing his property over to Reed and Reed flashing what they thought was a play gun. When one of the witnesses tried to defend Reyna by approaching Reed with an iron rod, Reed fired at him. The witnesses took cover and heard another gunshot. They later saw Reyna bleeding and suffering from a gunshot wound. Reyna later died at Methodist Hospital.
During the investigation, police identified two witnesses from the apartment complex, who identified Reed as the suspect and overheard him say he was going to rob the victim and his friends.
- Man Admits In Texas To Running Deadly Smuggling Operation
- Boy Recounts His Vicious Attack By A Dog; Man Cited By Police
- Major Flooding In Granbury; Stay Off Roads!
- Affidavit: Man Accused Of Killing Girlfriend Describes Botched Double Suicide
- Keidel: Don’t Underestimate The Warriors Like I Did