DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – Dallas police have arrested a man seven months after they say he shot and killed a man during a robbery in Oak Cliff. Jameal Reed, 23, is charged with Capital Murder for the shooting death of Merced Alberto Perez Reyna and being held in Lew Sterett Jail.
Police say the victim, Reyna, and two others stopped at an apartment complex after leaving a nightclub on the night of January 8, 2013. The group was having car trouble, according to the arrest report.
At first, Reed approached the men and offered to help them. He left and returned with a car cable, witnesses told police. But then the witnesses say they saw Reyna handing his property over to Reed and Reed flashing what they thought was a play gun. When one of the witnesses tried to defend Reyna by approaching Reed with an iron rod, Reed fired at him. The witnesses took cover and heard another gunshot. They later saw Reyna bleeding and suffering from a gunshot wound. Reyna later died at Methodist Hospital.
During the investigation, police identified two witnesses from the apartment complex, who identified Reed as the suspect and overheard him say he was going to rob the victim and his friends.
- Austin Bombings Suspect Identified After Blowing Himself Up
- Jimmy Kimmel Takes Katie Couric To His Colonoscopy
- New Travel Costs Revealed For EPA Head Amid Ongoing Scrutiny
- Brewers Players Celebrate “The Sandlot” Anniversary In Online Video
- Axe Throwing Gaining Nationwide Popularity As Casual Sport