FORT WORTH (AP) - A North Texas jury deliberated just 40 minutes before finding a 45-year-old drifter guilty of capital murder in the 2006 rape and killing of a Fort Worth woman.
The Tarrant County jury returned its verdict Wednesday against John R. Hoffman in the suffocation death of 34-year-old Laurie Chavers.
Since prosecutors weren’t seeking the death penalty, Hoffman will serve a life sentence without parole.
Chavers’ 10-year-old son returned home from school to find his mother’s partially clad body on the floor of his room at their west Fort Worth apartment. Six years passed before DNA evidence implicated Hoffman.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Seguin Has 3-Goal Second, Stars Beat Flyers 5-1
- Deadly Truck Pileup Reported On I-10 In West Texas
- Texas Storm Setting Temperature, Snow Records
- Oncor Targets Late Sunday For Full Power Restoration
- Ice Challenges Crews Fighting Dallas Fire