Cowboys Cut Tanney, Armstrong; Trim Roster To 53
IRVING (105.3 THE FAN) — The Cowboys are in the process of cutting down to their 53-man roster, but even with the moves made before Saturday’s 5 p.m. deadline, it’s clear that “today’s 53’’ might not be the same 53 employed next weekend when Dallas plays host to the Giants in their NFL season opener.
The players waived Saturday: Anthony Armstrong, Tim Benford, Demetress Bell, Xavier Brewer, Danny Coale, Edawn Coughman, Ray Dominguez, Thaddeus Gibson, Jabari Fletcher, Jakar Hamilton, Kevin Kowalski, Cameron Lawrence, Kendial Lawrence, Jerome Long, Caleb McSurdy, Brandon Magee, Sterling Moore, Micah Pellerin, Tank Reed, Alex Tanney and Jason Vega.
The Cowboys also moved safety Matt Johnson to IR and shaved special-teams ace Danny McCray’s salary in half from about $1.3 million.
The moves leave the Cowboys thin at cornerback (where they only have four) and leaves room for the possibility of re-acquiring some of the above players for the practice squad. Magee and Tanney are among the candidates for those roles.
Meanwhile, Dallas is studying the players released from other squads in search of help in the defensive and offensive lines.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
Sports Stories You May Also Be Interested In:
- The Top 3 Potential Additions To The Cowboys Running Back Depth Chart
- The Top 5 Potential Playoff Starting Pitchers Under 26 Years-Old
- Notre Dame’s Zaire Seeks To Stay Calm Vs Texas Longhorns
- Ring Announcer Jimmy Lennon Jr.: ‘If Floyd Underestimates Berto, He Could Be In Trouble’
- Top 5 Wildest Sports Callers Of The Week: August 31st-September 4th