FORT LEAVENWORTH, Kan. (CBSDFW.COM/AP) – The Army psychiatrist sentenced to death for the Fort Hood shooting rampage has been forcibly shaved.
Maj. Nidal Hasan began growing a beard in the years after the November 2009 shooting that left 13 dead and 30 wounded. The beard prompted delays to his court-martial because it violated Army grooming regulations.
Hasan is at Fort Leavenworth, Kan., home to the military death row.
Lt. Col. S. Justin Platt, a spokesman for Fort Leavenworth, said in a statement Tuesday that Hasan had been shaved. Officials at Fort Leavenworth previously had said Hasan would be subject to Army regulations.
The statement continued, “All inmates must conform to AR 670-1, Wear and Appearance of Army Uniforms and Insignia, unless an exception to policy is granted. In keeping with the provisions of AR 670-1 and AR 190-47, The Army Corrections System, Inmate Hasan has been shaved.”
The dispute over the beard had led to the ouster of the original judge in his court-martial. The new judge had allowed Hasan to keep it at his trial last month.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Reporters for CBSDFW.COM contributed to this report)
- Report: Dez Bryant & Former Adviser Sen. Royce West Settle Legal Dispute
- Texas Woman Gets 30 years For Babysitting Child Porn Scam
- PD Searching For Thief Who Stole Purse At Buc-ee’s Gas Pump
- Seahawks QB Russell Wilson Has MCL Sprain, But “Feeling Great”
- Texas Lineman Kent Perkins Suspended Following DWI Arrest