IRVING (105.3 THE FAN) — The Dallas Cowboys have selected their team captains for the 2013 season, team sources tell me, and there is a mostly-familiar ring to the collection of leaders.
Quarterback Tony Romo and tight end Jason Witten are the offensive captains. Defensive end DeMarcus Ware and linebacker Sean Lee are the defensive captains. The only change, apparently, is kicker Dan Bailey taking over for Danny McCray as the special-teams captain.
Starting two seasons ago, the Cowboys captains wore the “C” patch (designating “team captain”) on their jerseys. But with or without the patch, Dallas coach Jason Garrett – who will announce the honorees later this week — is on-record as lauding the club’s leadership … and on record as demanding it.
“You want guys who are leaders,’’ Garrett told his team in a video-taped opening address at training camp. “Step up and be a [expletive] leader. Lead this football team. Lead it!”
He’s now got five men with that official designation.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
Sports Stories You May Also Be Interested In:
- Rangers Rally After 3-1/2-Hour Rain Delay, Beat Yankees 9-6
- Keidel: Jose Reyes, The New York Mets And The Sad Business Of Baseball
- Cowboys’ Dez Takes To The Basketball Court
- This Week In Golf: Navy Vet Billy Hurley III Wins Quicken Loans National
- Dallas Stars, Kings Swap U.S.-Born Prospects On Final Day Of Draft